Skip to main content
Disclaimer - I had no idea what to write about since I don't really have many strong feelings about Libra, so instead this is a response to a certain Paul D'Angelo's bold claim about the rankings of the books we read this semester. Here's mine:

5th place: Course Packet Readings
I'd have to agree here and say that the packet readings were probably the least enjoyable. I did appreciate them because of the context that they gave for the rest of the semester, but they were also just super dense and hard to read, and they had no plot to make me actively want to understand them.

Tied for 4th place: Libra and Slaughterhouse 5
I know this is kind of cheating, but I genuinely can't decide between the two. I'm not sure that I would use the word indifferent, because even though it's meant to be neutral I feel like it has some negative connotations to it, but I definitely didn't have very strong opinions on either of the books. I found both interesting (even though we aren't finished with Libra yet) but more so in terms of the conversations that they brought up about the ways we think of history. I've really liked the discussion that we've had during Libra about the narrativity of history and what happens when we're faced with more facts than we can make sense of (peep my last blog post if you wanna read my thoughts on that). I also found the Tralfamadorian concept of time and history pretty interesting, and the essay I wrote on Slaughterhouse was probably my favorite essay so far this year. But! I just didn't find the books themselves very engaging - they were interesting enough, but nothing  really stood out to me in the way that some of the other books did.

3rd place: Ragtime
I actually really enjoyed Ragtime - it was super fun, and I loved how much Doctoroow just did whatever he wanted. I like the idea of authors just screwing with the readers. I also loved the tone of the book which was detached and sarcastic, and it got really important points across through humor and irony.  I thought this mixed with some of the absurdity of Doctorow just pulling any and all strings that he wanted, worked super well.

2nd place: Kindred
Kindred was definitely the book that I found myself most interested in throughout. I found myself wishing I could read ahead because I just wanted to know what was going to happen. I also think that doing my panel presentation on it helped me a lot to look at it on a deeper level than just its function as a novel, and even deeper than our discussions in class. It was definitely a much needed break from books like Mumbo Jumbo and Ragtime because it was so straightforward and easy to understand, while still having great significance. 

1st place: Mumbo Jumbo
I debated putting Mumbo Jumbo as second and Kindred as first, but then I thought about the impact that both books had on me. I honestly think that 5 years from now I will have forgotten about Kindred - it was good for sure (and much easier to understand), but it didn't blow me away. 5 years from now though, I think that I will remember Mumbo Jumbo as a book that completely changed my perspective on the forms that fiction can take and the significance that it can have. I was really just repeatedly blown away by the things that Reed was able to do, and the total freedom he took to accomplish these things in whatever way he wanted. It really felt like every single detail was significant, and even if it made no sense, and took Mr. Mitchell to explain it,  I thought that was so cool. It was just so ridiculous, but also so so important in terms of what Reed was saying and how he was saying it. Ultimately, I think I put Mumbo Jumbo first instead of Kindred because even though so much of Mumbo Jumbo made absolutely no sense, it was so intellectually interesting in a way that Kindred was not. That is not to say Kindred was not intellectual, because it was, but they were presented in different ways, and I preferred Reed's way, where new messages can be found in every aspect of the book, and where these messages aren't clear cut or pointed out for us - like Paul said, Kindred is blunt, and I guess personally I'm not so into the bluntness, which is why I liked Mumbo Jumbo so much

Comments

  1. This is really interesting, especially since I just read Paul's post. I think it is eye-opening to rate these books not by the current effect, for example Kindred's emotional effect, but the long-term effect, how they have affected the views we will have of the world. I agree that Mumbo Jumbo is, despite being difficult to understand, full of meaning and messages about the world we live in. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great I love this. I have no issue with you placing Mumbo Jumbo so high. Mumbo Jumbo really was a hit or miss, and for me I just don't think I got it. It's really my fault for not absorbing myself in every reading, but still, I reserve the right to complain about the difficulties of understanding the text. Kindred was very blunt, so it was good. I do think it will stick with me for a while though. Libra will stick with me the most though, as I knew so little about the assassination previous to this, and I'm just generally interested in conspiracies. Thanks for responding to my stupid blog post lol. Have a good summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these ranking posts! I definitely agree with you about Mumbo Jumbo and Kindred. Kindred was a very interesting and intriguing read that pulled you in. To me, Mumbo Jumbo, like you said, was like a whole different league because of the complexity of the novel. It was just so well written and involved so many different things and I can't imagine anyone but a genius being able to write it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve mentioned the ‘yam scene’ a few times in class, but we haven’t quite gotten to it yet so it’s pretty much uncharted territory for the moment. I think it’s a super important scene for a lot of reasons, but the most important one is the sense of freedom that the yams bring the narrator. He leaves Mary’s house needing a breath of fresh air and a break from his inner turmoil, and the yams end up bringing him a huge deal of clarification. He says immediately after eating the yams that he is “overcome by an intense feeling of freedom” and I don’t think that he’s truly experienced this feeling yet in the book (pg 264). I was definitely a little confused at first – that eating yams from the street can inspire an inner revelation in someone seems pretty weird – but then I thought about all the times that I’ve gone somewhere on my own, or bought something on my own and I understood a little better. Being in a situation where you answer entirely to yourself and everything you do is on
The scene that takes place in Emma Goldman's home in Chapter 9 was one that I found really interesting, but also a little bit conflicting. To begin with,  Emma Goldman gives Evelyn a powerful lecture about liberating herself from the manipulations and abuses of men; of embracing real love and the freedom that comes with it. Great, I thought, it's about time someone sets Evelyn straight (or, maybe not  straight , exactly). The best part is that Emma is just so right. Evelyn's worth has, up until this point been defined solely by her relation to powerful men - men who abused her both physically and sexually. Her sexuality has been on constant display for all of America to debate. As such, th ere's something really empowering in Evelyn experiencing this sexuality with someone  who, for once, doesn't view her worth as existing within a restricted domain; someone who doesn't view her beauty as existing within the corset that she wears.  The scene is, overall, one whi
During the very first Mumbo Jumbo reading, I was really interested by Reed's comparison of the 20th century to a giant "Age Race" (pg 20) because the analogy gives a lot of insight into the greater context of Jes Grew's growth during the time period. He basically describes the time period as a time when many different trends are vying to be the one which is remembered at the end of the era. Everyone is competing to be the face of the 20th century. He continues, saying, "Now imagine this Age Race occurring before a crowd of society idlers you would expect to find at 1 of those blue-ribbon dog shows." It's pretty obvious that this refers to privileged white people - becoming part of mainstream culture is a contest, and white people are the judges. At first though, white people aren't too into the Jes Grew craze, because it's outlandish and scandalous. Black culture is the "hound mongrel" next to pekinese and collies. What's interest