Skip to main content

We’ve mentioned the ‘yam scene’ a few times in class, but we haven’t quite gotten to it yet so it’s pretty much uncharted territory for the moment. I think it’s a super important scene for a lot of reasons, but the most important one is the sense of freedom that the yams bring the narrator. He leaves Mary’s house needing a breath of fresh air and a break from his inner turmoil, and the yams end up bringing him a huge deal of clarification. He says immediately after eating the yams that he is “overcome by an intense feeling of freedom” and I don’t think that he’s truly experienced this feeling yet in the book (pg 264).

I was definitely a little confused at first – that eating yams from the street can inspire an inner revelation in someone seems pretty weird – but then I thought about all the times that I’ve gone somewhere on my own, or bought something on my own and I understood a little better. Being in a situation where you answer entirely to yourself and everything you do is on your own agenda is really liberating. Think about the first time you drove to a friend's house by yourself, or bought something with your own money. The narrator made a spontaneous decision to buy the yams, but most importantly it was his own decision and it was a decision he made completely autonomously. No one was there to hold him back, and on the other side of the spectrum, there was nobody forcing him to stop and buy yams – he bought them simply because he liked yams and he wanted to eat them. The lines that really spoke to me were, “to hell with being ashamed of what you liked. No more of that for me. I am what I am” (pg 265). After living his entire life to please others, this revelation of 'I can actually have my own opinions and not feel guilty for that' is real heartwarming to see. In my opinion it’s the first moment that the narrator truly realizes the constraints that he has been living in. And, I think it’s this moment that inspires his speech only minutes later. When he comes across the old couple being evicted, not only has the narrator just been thinking about his family and his home (the yams give him a “surge of homesickness” – pg. 264), but he has also been thinking about how much time in his life he has wasted doing what was expected of him. I think it’s true that when he gives his speech and incites the protest he doesn’t have any clear idea of what he is doing, but regardless, he effectively throws out every expectation that he would have abided by before. It’s interesting that so far the two speeches the narrator has given in the book have been almost completely opposite. Whereas during his speech at the Battle Royale he is submissive and his goal is to do what is expected of him by pleasing the white people, his second speech, though starting out in a similar vein, ultimately ends up shattering those previous expectations.

Weirdly though, I don’t see the revelation that he comes to as necessarily holding up – I think that by joining Brother Jack’s organization the narrator is still working within constraints placed on him by others, and he doesn’t seem to have as much autonomy as I had hoped (he has to cut contact with his family, move out of Harlem, and take on a completely new identity). On the other hand, he talks about ‘playing the game’ if you will – pretending to be a Booker T Washington but aiming for the Founder secretly – so I’m interested to see where that goes.


Comments

  1. I definitely see the strong connection between his nostalgic experience with the yams and the "surge of homesickness" and identification with the elderly couple being evicted that inspires his speech. And you're right that this seems like it *should* be an encouraging development, where he's both owning his identity as a southern man and feeling this sense of freedom from others' expectations (some kind of progress from his anxiety about ordering "the special" earlier), and finding a way to articulate that identity in a public forum, "moving the people to action" through his (weirdly incoherent) speech. The question is, can we see the Brotherhood as a context wherein he will achieve that sense of identity through giving speeches? Or is it, in the context of the yam scene, a serious red flag when Jack orders him to cut off all ties with his family? What about that "surge of homesickness"? Isn't that vital toward identity-formation, if he's going to speak to the experiences of people like him who've migrated north from the segregated South?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I definitely agree that in the scene with the yams, the narrator shows that he's much more in touch with what he wants and enjoys and begins to recognize the power of making his own decisions. I also think it's interesting that the narrator seems to take a step back towards following someone else's plan immediately after that scene. It seems like every time the narrator begins to discover something about his sense of self, he regresses a little bit and I'm really interested to see how his development will turn out. At what point will the narrator feel certain enough that he's completely developed his personality to tell the story of his development and what events could prompt that confidence and finality?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I definitely love that the narrator is finally making steps towards true freedom. I feel like this scene just gave him a small taste of what it really is. I like the comparison that this scene gives us with him embracing his southern background, instead of trying to hide it because he was embarrassed, like he did a few chapters a go in the diner. This is definitely the first decision that he has made on his own so far. Everyone else in the book has handed him an envelope and told him where to take it. I am also concerned about Brother Jack and how he is taking away the Narrator's freedom so soon after he got it. I am hoping that he will get it back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really cool Lili! The yam scene has been one of my favorites in the book so far, just because of how nice it is to see the narrator truly allowing his emotions and thoughts to come out. He misses home, he just wants to keep eating yams in the cold snow, and hes just walking about town, far from his room with Mary. This is one of the first times we see the narrator go deep in his thoughts, more than just revenge against Bledsoe, but personally reflecting on who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad someone said it. He keeps working for the MAN and I don't like it. I feel like he is going to be used and then left for dead by the Brotherhood. I pray that the next yam he eats will open his eyes to how he is constantly being used and then pushed to the side when he is no longer needed. I feel like for a main character, he doesn't seem to have much development going on for him (as in he keeps making the same type of mistakes).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The scene that takes place in Emma Goldman's home in Chapter 9 was one that I found really interesting, but also a little bit conflicting. To begin with,  Emma Goldman gives Evelyn a powerful lecture about liberating herself from the manipulations and abuses of men; of embracing real love and the freedom that comes with it. Great, I thought, it's about time someone sets Evelyn straight (or, maybe not  straight , exactly). The best part is that Emma is just so right. Evelyn's worth has, up until this point been defined solely by her relation to powerful men - men who abused her both physically and sexually. Her sexuality has been on constant display for all of America to debate. As such, th ere's something really empowering in Evelyn experiencing this sexuality with someone  who, for once, doesn't view her worth as existing within a restricted domain; someone who doesn't view her beauty as existing within the corset that she wears.  The scene is, overall, one whi
I probably shouldn’t be admitting this- but I actually have yet to finish Slaughterhouse-Five. I still have the last chapter left, but so far, I have counted exactly 77 instances of “so it goes.” I found the continued usage of this phrase really interesting because it just kept coming back – sometimes every paragraph on a page ended in “so it goes.” When I started looking for a theme which tied all the instances together, the only thing I noticed was that it was usually at the end of passages, and much less often in the middle of passages. As I was looking around at articles for my panel presentation though, I read something which I had never thought about, but which is super obvious now – the “so it goes” always comes after the death of someone or something.               I think that the effect of the “so it goes” relates to the entire book as a whole in the irony and the understatement that comes along with it. Every time someone dies, Vonnegut interjects to say – yeah, maybe thi