Skip to main content
I probably shouldn’t be admitting this- but I actually have yet to finish Slaughterhouse-Five. I still have the last chapter left, but so far, I have counted exactly 77 instances of “so it goes.” I found the continued usage of this phrase really interesting because it just kept coming back – sometimes every paragraph on a page ended in “so it goes.” When I started looking for a theme which tied all the instances together, the only thing I noticed was that it was usually at the end of passages, and much less often in the middle of passages. As I was looking around at articles for my panel presentation though, I read something which I had never thought about, but which is super obvious now – the “so it goes” always comes after the death of someone or something.
              I think that the effect of the “so it goes” relates to the entire book as a whole in the irony and the understatement that comes along with it. Every time someone dies, Vonnegut interjects to say – yeah, maybe this happened, but it also might not have, who even knows? He constantly undermines the impact of the deaths in the story, making them seem like they could just be stories or rumors. This aligns with how he uses irony and understatement throughout the book. The entire premise of the book is that Vonnegut is telling this story about the war, but we don’t really ever know how much of what he’s saying is true, and how much is just that – a story. I think this relates to something Ema and I mentioned in our panel presentation yesterday regarding the incongruence between the gravity of the subject matter, and the ironic, almost nonchalant language and method of story-telling. Slaughterhouse-Five is a book about war, trauma, and death, but the way that Vonnegut chooses to tell it is through aliens and time travel, using piles of irony and sarcasm.
              I liked this method partly because it’s just the kind of humor that I find the most entertaining, but also because it makes you think. With the “So it goes,” specifically – for me at least, I always found myself wondering is that true?  Did this really happen? Could something like this really happen? It made me think more critically about the deaths that were being narrated to be, and consequently about all of the deaths that the war brought. Overall, I found Vonnegut's continued use of understatement, specifically "so it goes," really interesting and I not only enjoyed the book in part because of it, but I also think it forced me to think more critically about the message Vonnegut was trying to send.

Comments

  1. I think part of the reason "so it goes" is so prevalent is because, like you mention, it forces you to think more about what death really means. We instinctively have a sharp reaction to hearing such a flippant response to death -- we want to refute the narration, because we understand that death really matters, and that there's a difference between a massacre, as Vonnegut describes the bombing of Dresden in the first chapter, and the "death" of a bottle of champagne. By erasing that difference, Vonnegut forces us to think about why we find the phrase "so it goes" so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that "So it goes" is meant to ironically portray the significance of death and I love the way Vonnegut does it. I also think the repetition of "So it goes" itself is meant to drive home a message. I think the general reaction of anyone reading "so it goes" 77+ times is exasperation. Seeing this message, even if it's funny or jarring the first time, becomes almost exhausting by the end. And I think that's how Vonnegut wants us to react. He wants us to see just how exhausting, just how frequent death is, and, more morbidly, how quickly one can become accustomed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that "so it goes" is a really interesting take on death. I think its even more interesting when Vonnegut uses the phrase when not aligned with human death - I forget the exact instances, but sometimes if an inanimate object is lost or destroyed, he will use the phrase. I think its interesting that he views both human and non-human death on the same level - So it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid post! When I was reading Slaughterhouse Five, the "so it goes" phrase really stuck out to me and your thoughts about it helped me contextualize it's significance. Vonnegut's use of irony and humor to push the point he's trying to make about death was really engaging and thought provoking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the repetition of "so it goes" undermines the different deaths in the novel. I also think it connects back to Billy's PTSD from the war. The "so it goes" connects with the idea of the brutality of war and the fact that a single life doesn't mean that much to the leaders of the war when they just happen to die in combat or because of conditions. I think Billy's saying of "so it goes" is also meant to show how disconnected he is from what actually happened in the war, because all around him people just seemed to die.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve mentioned the ‘yam scene’ a few times in class, but we haven’t quite gotten to it yet so it’s pretty much uncharted territory for the moment. I think it’s a super important scene for a lot of reasons, but the most important one is the sense of freedom that the yams bring the narrator. He leaves Mary’s house needing a breath of fresh air and a break from his inner turmoil, and the yams end up bringing him a huge deal of clarification. He says immediately after eating the yams that he is “overcome by an intense feeling of freedom” and I don’t think that he’s truly experienced this feeling yet in the book (pg 264). I was definitely a little confused at first – that eating yams from the street can inspire an inner revelation in someone seems pretty weird – but then I thought about all the times that I’ve gone somewhere on my own, or bought something on my own and I understood a little better. Being in a situation where you answer entirely to yourself and everything you do is on
The scene that takes place in Emma Goldman's home in Chapter 9 was one that I found really interesting, but also a little bit conflicting. To begin with,  Emma Goldman gives Evelyn a powerful lecture about liberating herself from the manipulations and abuses of men; of embracing real love and the freedom that comes with it. Great, I thought, it's about time someone sets Evelyn straight (or, maybe not  straight , exactly). The best part is that Emma is just so right. Evelyn's worth has, up until this point been defined solely by her relation to powerful men - men who abused her both physically and sexually. Her sexuality has been on constant display for all of America to debate. As such, th ere's something really empowering in Evelyn experiencing this sexuality with someone  who, for once, doesn't view her worth as existing within a restricted domain; someone who doesn't view her beauty as existing within the corset that she wears.  The scene is, overall, one whi
During the very first Mumbo Jumbo reading, I was really interested by Reed's comparison of the 20th century to a giant "Age Race" (pg 20) because the analogy gives a lot of insight into the greater context of Jes Grew's growth during the time period. He basically describes the time period as a time when many different trends are vying to be the one which is remembered at the end of the era. Everyone is competing to be the face of the 20th century. He continues, saying, "Now imagine this Age Race occurring before a crowd of society idlers you would expect to find at 1 of those blue-ribbon dog shows." It's pretty obvious that this refers to privileged white people - becoming part of mainstream culture is a contest, and white people are the judges. At first though, white people aren't too into the Jes Grew craze, because it's outlandish and scandalous. Black culture is the "hound mongrel" next to pekinese and collies. What's interest